Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you choose to update to a more advanced model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed family member: your pre-owned hearing aids should be donated versus throwing them away.
There are plenty of people suffering from loss of hearing who could use a donated hearing aid, and several institutions out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the individuals in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your pre-owned hearing aid and find out how you can go about it.
Why You Should Look Into Donating Your Pre-Owned Hearing Aids
- About 14% of the total population, has loss of hearing
- Of all of the adults who have loss of hearing 91% percent are above the age of 50
- 15% of school-age children have some form of hearing loss
- Nearly 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …only 16% (4.6 million) of them actually use hearing aids
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Of those over 70 who need hearing aids, fewer than 30% percent have ever used them
I think we should be worried. Because health problems like mental decline, greater risk of falling, and depression have been associated with untreated loss of hearing. In fact, new research comes out on a regular basis showing how crucial hearing is to your general health. These health problems can be prevented and in some cases reversed by hearing aids.
And hearing loss will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be a really persuasive point. But that cost can actually be lessened by up to 50% with hearing aids.
For a family that loses out on $12,000 every year, it may simply not be possible for them to pay for a hearing aid.
For an individual in need, who can’t afford a hearing aid, your used hearing aids can have a tremendous effect on their financial well being, quality of life, and health. It may also cost a child the ability to go to college and make their lives better because they are unable to hear in school.
How to Donate Your Used Hearing Aid
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by lots of manufacturers and volunteer organizations. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or give us a call.